Wednesday 26 October 2011

Deadliest Warrior: Traditional Humanities Vs. Digital Humanities

Who IS the deadliest warrior?!

Pretty sure it's me but that's not the point.

I think this simulation business is pretty damn cool. And while I understand the draw backs (some of them have been voiced by me with regards to previous DH topics) they are meaning less and less. What is important is the new vehicles for conveying and interpreting historical data. Text is old news. A few weeks ago I probably would have been inclined to disagree. And while a part of me still does that part is getting easier and easier to silence.

I think the largest part of my enthusiasm for the digital humanities is that it is so much damn fun! This can't be work, can it? Am I even learning? Is what we're doing even constructive? How could that be when it's so enjoyable? Isn't history something that must be beaten into you? Any discussion I've ever had with a PhD candidate has led me to believe this is indeed the case. I also really enjoy the digital humanities because it speaks to such a wide audience. Again this might be because it's exciting and fun.

It speaks to a wide audience because it has applications that aren't at all limited to the ivory tower.
Take for example the simulation and the ABMs from this week. We can of course apply it to our humanities research (not just history) but I can see potential governmental applications. I mean, policy makers HAVE to use simulations in order to inform themselves, right? I don't see how they couldn't.

As of right now I'm excited for my playing and gaming seminar next week. We'll see if that changes over the course of the week though. Because ... what happens when play becomes work? Is it still play? I have a feeling I'll find out veeeery soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment