Tuesday 1 November 2011

Dream a little dream

Scrivener and DevonThink

Two awesomely awesome programs that have saved my academic career!!!!

That's what I'd be saying if I was the proud owner of a mac. But alas, I am not and am therefore doomed to failure. I may as well start my spatula work right now. At least I can look forward to future access to a gold card and an early grave due to congestive heart failure.... DAMN YOU MAC! Hm, I could be damning apple or fast food in this situation.

I did download the beta version of scrivener and have taken a look at it. It's interesting and I can understand the appeal. I would probably make the switch if I had a mac. Im on microsoft works so I can't say I'm all that invested in a word program. As for using the beta... well Im not going to throw any of my current work into a beta version that is going to expire in less than a month. That would be quite foolhardy.

I do know that scrivener would be extremely compatible with the way I do my writing. You may have noticed reading my blog (Dave, I know you have) that I like to write stream of consciousness. This means that when Im writing an actual paper I constantly have to reorder my ideas in order to create a sense of flow and clarity for the reader. Being able to rearrange chunks of text without copying and pasting and deleting and recopying and crashing would be amazing.  Even just to see the progression of a paper without having to print it off and write in the margins what each paragraph is about would be extremely useful for me. But like I say, Im not going to start work on a beta version that will expire before I have completed my paper. It just isnt in the cards for me at this point in my life. Maybe one day.

A boy can dream.


Blog on devonthink to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment